Saturday, January 19, 2013

Another snowy day in McMurdo

Last night I met some old and new friends at the local Gallagher's bar. There was a charity event going on called "Mustache Roulette" where the women bid in for the opportunity to trim mustaches and beards. The highest bid was $150 for the honor of doing whatever you wanted to the guy's beard or mustache. It was pretty funny and even two girls got into the action. Two guys bid on cutting the girls hair off. They both had super long hair that was cut and will be donated. One girl that was in on my C-130 flight had her head shaved. Her response was "It will grow back". What a trooper! They do call us McWeirdos.

This morning (Sunday) it was still snowing so we did our hiking after the famous and delicious McMurdo Brunch. Excellent mahi with all the trimmings. At 1pm three of us set out on the Hut Point Ridge Trail. The only boots I had were my bunny boots as everything else I have is palletized and awaiting the South Pole flight tomorrow. After two hours of our planned 5 hour hike I turned around since I kept slipping as there is no traction on the bunny boots. They are very warm but not good for hiking. I miss my regular hiking boots and the attached stabilicers. I didn't want to take a chance of falling and breaking something that would cancel my South Pole job. The weather is forecast good for flying tomorrow. I am really looking forward to the Pole.

I told my friends to continue without me as I kept slipping in my bunny boots. There was a lot of deep snow.


The window view from my room.

Deep.

Last week in Florida there was record heat close to 90 degrees. I dropped down to +12 today.

The entrance to my dorm.

My dorm is for transients.



A nice little room to myself.

Winter Quarters Bay.

Observation Hill.

Vince's Cross.

You don't want to slip here.

Roll Cage Mary with Observation Hill in the background.

A memorial to a Seabee that died when his tractor went through the ice.

My friends continuing the hike.

Pretty inviting for a swimming hole.

Deep drifts.

The ice pier that was built last winter is ready. Crushed volcanic rocks called fines are spread for traction.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment